2. Music helps prepare students for a career and is an avocation.
3. Music makes the day more alive and interesting, which in
turn leads to more learning.
4. Music combines behaviors to promote a higher order of thinking
5. It provides a way to image and create, contribute to self-expression
6. Music enriches life, it is a way to understand our cultural
heritage as well as other past and present cultures. (see article by Bill Pharis)
7. Performing, consuming and composing are satisfying and rewarding
8. Music contributes to sensitivity (see Gloria Kiester's article
Teaching Music for "feelingful intelligence).
9. Music education provides for perceptual motor development.
10. It encourages team work and cohesiveness.
11. It fosters creativity and individuality.
12. Music education adds to self-worth of participants.
13. Music education fosters discipline and commitment.
14. It is a major source of joy and achievement.
15. Music provides unique and distinct modes of learning (see
article by Howard Gardner).
6. Music is a therapeutic outlet for human beings.
17. It is a predictor of life's success (see article by National
Association of Secondary School Principals).
18. It develops intelligence in other areas (see articles by
Wendell Harrison, Howard Gardner, Malcom Browne and Tom Cohen).
19. To provide success for some students who have difficulty
with other aspects of the school curriculum.
20. To help the student realize that not every aspect of quantifiable
and that it is important to cope with the subjective.
21. The music program is very cost-effective (See Save Your
Music Program, John L. Benham)